Sunday, March 22, 2015

KAZE

I have been to Kaze in Cincinnati a number of times, but it was during my lunch date with myself a few days ago that I realized just how much I enjoy this restaurant. Now, the key to understanding Kaze's success is to understand that downtown Cincinnati is experiencing a major upswing, and with any good city revival comes mass openings of establishments ranging from yummy to yucky. In an effort to grow the city quickly, many of these restaurants are missing the mark, or failing to capitalize on the late night crowd for example.

Kaze feels superb to me because as one of the first "new restaurants" in Over the Rhine, they have stuck to their swords and continue to deliver on their initial promise of quality food, exceptional service,  a cleanly establishment, and most importantly…a late night menu!

The hostess was at her desk and welcomed me. I chose a seat at the sushi bar. She brought me water and an edamame amuse bouche…nice touch. David, my server was prompt. He let me know about the weekly Ramen special, which is available every Friday, and dropped off cocktail lists and menus.

Kaze offers an extensive beer and wine selection. There is a nice nod to local breweries like Madtree and Rhinegeist,  as well as a bottle of Opus One…if you're feeling frisky. If sake is your thing, or if you're entertaining your in-laws for the first time and need to liven up the party a bit, they offer it by the bottle or glass. I stuck with a glass of Malbec, $10.

The sushi rolls are available as a full or half order, which makes sharing perfect. I ordered a half of the blackened salmon roll, with cucumber, avocado and tobiko, $8. The salmon was charred nicely and spicy without being overpowering. YUM! I also had a half OTR roll, with tuna, avocado, cucumber, scallion and ponzu, $8. It was very tasty, and Chef Hideki assembled them right in from of me, fun. If you go, please try the Brisket Buns. Thinly sliced bbq brisket with kimchi stuffed inside 2 sticky buns. $8. They are sweet and delectable.

If you go at night sit outside around an open fire pit, the perfect setting for late night chats with friends. Open T,W,TH,Su until 11pm. F,S until midnight. Closed on Mondays.

Kaze
1400 Vine Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
513.898.7991






No comments:

Post a Comment